So it’s been three days since classes actually started (which means the last time I posted something it was on Monday) and so far I’m both loving AND hating it.
What I’m loving:
- The fact that all the subjects I’m taking are actually subjects I love, ie: English, Socio-linguistics, Anthropology, French and yes, even Math. I like math, despite frequent rants against it in the past (in real life, not online).
- The fact that my schedule allows me to have breaks between the classes and isn’t like eight hours straight of continuous information input into my brain folds.
- The fact that all the homework I’ve gotten so far are writing assignments.
Obviously, that third point is going to change come next term or approaching the final term of freshman year but for now, it’s all good. And French composition? YES.
What I’m not loving:
- Textbooks are expensive. Like my French textbook cost $ 264.00. And I bought it. Urgh
- None of my friends have the same classes because for some reason, most (read: All Except Me) international students are either studying some form of Engineering or Computer Science. Why? Don’t they know that the world is already saturated with Engineering students and Computer Science students looking for jobs? It just seems like a poor life decision to me.
- I have way too much time on my hand in between classes and assignments (obviously this will change soon but still) so I still have enough time to feel homesick and miserable in between French composition and Linguistics. And Instagram isn’t helping.
But yes. That has been my life so far and today, is actually a very good day because I discovered how Not To Feel Despondent In The Morning When You Wake Up. How? Well, set an alarm and wake up at least three hours before your first class. QUICKLY take a shower (don’t spend an eon in there and take time to think about life and death and college tuition fees and stuff), QUICKLY finish any homework you have left over from the day before. QUICKLY run down to the breakfast place (with a good soundtrack in your ears because listening to the same music you listened to back at home can do wonders for helping you settle in and get centred) and have a QUICK, GOOD breakfast, and then get tea to go from the same place and then walk QUICKLY to your first class with music in your ears and sipping tea as you walk along.
Perfect morning routine. I swear.
Besides that….I’ve been watching New Girl and will start season 2 and also, I will start playing Submerged, an indie game about a young boy with cancer who sister you have to play as and go find cancer cures UNDER THE OCEAN.